Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why should I train my employees?
According to the Skill Development Act, all designated employers should train their employees. The other benefit is that your Company will have productive people and a safe environment.
2. Why must I pay Levy (Who must pay levy)?
It is requirement to designated employers to pay in accordance to Levies Act. However more than 50% of these levies can be claimed back as grants.
3. How much must I pay for my Levy?
1% of total wage bill, including overtime and bonus.
4. To whom do I pay the Levy?
Seta via SARS
5. What is a SETA?
A Sector Education and Training Authority (SETA) is a body established under the Skills Development Act whose main purpose is to contribute to the improvement of skills in South Africa through achieving a more favourable balance between demand and supply, and by ensuring that education and training
- acknowledges and enhances the skills of the current work force
- meets agreed standards within a national framework
- is provided subject to validation and quality assurance; and
- where appropriate, is benchmarked against international standards
The full list of SETA functions are contained in the Skills Development Act. Those which affect SAQA’s work most directly are that SETA’s
- are accredited by SAQA as ETQA’s within the economic sector, and therefore fulfill all the functions of ETQA’s as set out in Regulation 9; and
- monitor education and training in the sector
6. What is SAQA (Who is SAQA)?
The South African Qualifications Authority, which came into being through the promulgation of the SAQA Act (RSA, 1995), is responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of the NQF (National Qualifications Framework).
7. What is a Learnership?
Refers to a learning programme where the learner spends some time learning theory and some time learning practical skills in a workplace. It leads to a qualification registered on the NQF.
8. How long is a Learnership?
A learnership takes 1 full year maximum. It can be done in less than a year by some learners.
9. How long is an Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeship takes a minimum of 18 months and a maximum of four years.
10. Does MCD provide Learnership Training?
Yes, we do provide learnership training, but NOT to private individuals. Only learners who are registered through companies can undergo learnership training at MCD.
11. Apprenticeship or Learnership?
Since apprenticeship has minimum of 18 months to get a qualification some prefer it more than learnership that takes relatively longer. However learnerships include lots of Life Skills, meaning that the Learner copes well in life.
12. What is Skills Development Facilitator (SDF)?
Skills Development Facilitator (SDF) will be the person responsible for the development and planning of a firm’s or a group of firms’ skills development strategy for a specific period. This will include the development and implementation of an annual workplace skills plan (WSP) and the submission of an Annual Training Reports (ATR) .
13. Do I need to appoint SDF permanently?
No. Your company can appoint a consultant to function as SDF. This SDF needs to be registered with your Seta to be able to retrieve and submit information. MCD has a Sister Company (Multilayer Trading 568 CC) that can help you. Please contact Sakkie Wiese for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
14. How do I claim my grants back?
You need to submit the necessary documentation, such as Annual Training Reports (ATR) and Workplace Skills Plan (WSP). Your levies must be paid up to date and you must have trained your employees with a accredited training provider, i.e. MCD.
15. What type of Learnerships do we have?
16. What type of Grants do we have?
Mandatory (50% of Levies)
Discretionary grants for special training such as ABET.
17. Is MCD an accredited provider?
Yes! MCD is accredited with Merseta as Primary Seta and Teta and many other Authority bodies.
18. What is MCD BBBEE Level?
Level 2 Contributor
19. What is a NQF?
A particular level of the eight levels of the National Qualifications Framework.
20. MCD abbreviated
- M= Meyerton
- C= Community
- D= Development
21. Does MCD offer training On-Site?
Yes we do, however, extra travelling costs will occur for the clients invoice.
The following links might be of interest:
South African Department of Labour
Manufacturing, Engineering & Related Services SETA
South African Qualifications Authority
The South African Labour Guide (Employment Equity)
The South African Labour Guide (Basic Conditions of Employment Act)